Thursday, November 21, 2013

Coming Out of the Smut Closet

I've been thinking a lot lately about this weird area romance/erotica writers occupy. I mean, it isn't exactly a surprise to my mom that at age 30, I know about sex. Or that I've had it. I think she would be far more concerned if I hadn't by now. I must assume most of our parents, siblings, co-workers, and friends feel the same.

But then, if you tell any of them you WRITE about this stuff, you get judgey-face. Wtf, for reals, guys. We are all allowed to do it, and thanks to shows like Sex and the City, we are allowed to freely discuss it, but when we write descriptions of two fake people doing the same deed, we get embarrassed and nervous.

I read an erotica book just last week and really enjoyed it, which led me to the author's blog. One post said something like "I always thought I would write something incredible, but turns out I just wrote sex." WHY. WHY do we feel like we have to apologize for this?

When Nicholas Sparks makes people cry, when Bill Bryson makes people laugh, when Chuck Palaniuk makes people cringe... Do you think they say sorry for causing Feels in their readers? So why the hell are we?

Welp, the only people who can change this is us. So here's my tiny contribution. I'm not Lucy Stark. Lucy Stark is dead. My name is Kayti McGee, and I write smut.

Xoxo,
Kayti

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs